Glossary of Terms 16-24 Years, 25-34 Years
- Birth Control: Prevention of pregnancy.
- Cervix: The lower, narrow end of the uterus, which protrudes into the vagina.
- Condom: A thin sheath used to cover the penis during sex to prevent sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy.
- Menstrual Period: The discharge of blood and tissue from the uterus that occurs when an egg is not fertilized (also called menstruation).
- Obstetrician–gynecologist (ob-gyn): A physician with special skills, training, and education in women’s health.
- Pap Test: A test in which cells are taken from the cervix and vagina and examined under a microscope.
- Pelvic Exam: A manual examination of a woman’s reproductive organs.
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs): Diseases that are spread by sexual contact.
- Speculum: An instrument used to hold open the walls of the vagina.
- Vagina: A tube-like structure surrounded by muscles leading from the uterus to the outside of the body.
- Vulva: The external female genital area.